National Priorities Project (NPP) makes complex federal budget information transparent and accessible so people can prioritize and influence how their tax dollars are spent.
We hold the vision of an informed and engaged democracy where all people affected by federal spending priorities have the ability and opportunity to participate in shaping our nation's budget.
National Priorities Project's work helps people be better informed about the federal budgeting process; how and where their tax dollars are being spent; and how and when they can influence budget creation. This information – put into the hands of individuals and organizations working in various ways to affect national priorities – has the potential to strengthen movements, enhance democracy and enrich lives.
We provide the following:
- On-line briefs and seminars which offer basic information about the national budget and the budget making process;
- Print and web-based publications and tools that break down and report on federal income and spending at national and local levels;
- A one-of-a-kind database that allows people to assess the personal and societal impact of federal spending;
- Tools that help people make sense of the federal budget.
NPP creates web and print tools and publications to help people understand and shape federal budget priorities. Research assistants help locate and process data for our tools and publications. Advanced interns may participate in the development of these materials. This job involves significant web based research and data entry.
The outreach assistant would help to organize, build and maintain an email directory of groups and individuals; assist in developing and maintaining a media contact list and track media coverage. The intern would also participate in NPP’s social media work with a focus on Facebook and Twitter. The intern would also analyze NPP's media coverage and activists' use of NPP materials in order to better ascertain how NPP's message is communicated and to what effect.
The Development Assistant will assist the Development staff with daily administration of fundraising activities and learn how a nonprofit organization generates revenue. The Assistant will help with direct mailings and event preparation as well as a variety of other office tasks.
Digital Artist/Data Visualization Assistant
Data visualization interns will work with NPP staff to create images based on NPP's research for use in online publications and social media. The position offers opportunities for professional growth and the chance to contribute to building a strong movement for government transparency and participatory democracy.
NPP will launch the development of short videos about the federal budget process, the FY2011 and FY2012 budgets and their local impact. Our goal is to help connect with more and increasingly diverse constituencies. The videos would build directly from NPP's core publications and tools. Video/Film Assistants will help explore and lay the ground work for what is possible using a range of web-based video-producing tools. Advanced interns can expect to participate in the development and execution of videos. This job involves significant web based research and data interpretation.
General support for the Executive Director and Administration & Finance departments. Assist in organizing and maintaining administrative files; preparation of copies of reports and other materials for workshops and conferences; assist in preparation of presentation materials with PowerPoint, and other special project or office assistance as needed.
- Research: Experience with spreadsheets, data entry and manipulation, formula creation, graph making is required. Knowledge of relational databases is desired. Attention to detail and accuracy is essential. Students in the social sciences with strong quantitative and critical thinking skills are invited to apply. Interest in federal budget or open government issues is a plus.
- Outreach: Organized, detail-oriented, computer and e-mail literate; ability to work independently, reliable and responsible.
- Development: Organized, detail oriented, and responsible; excellent people skills, ability to work independently, and good written and oral communication skills. Accuracy and confidentiality essential.
- Data Visualization: Interest in representing compelling data in an appealing and accessible manner; strong visual communications skills, ability to work independently. Passionate about creating images that convey strong messages. There is some flexibility in the tools data visualization interns use, but the images must be online and editable by staff.
- Video/Film: Experience with spreadsheets, data analysis and manipulation, and graph making is required. Knowledge of relational databases is desired. Attention to detail and accuracy is essential. Interest in federal budget or open government issues is a plus.
- Admin: Organized, detail-oriented and ability to work independently. Computer literacy required; PowerPoint experience desired. Attention to accuracy important.