Colorado Organization of Latina Opportunity and Reproductive Rights (COLOR)'s vision is a state in which Latinas and their families have the knowledge, freedom and power to access a full range of opportunities for the health of their body, mind and spirit. COLOR’s mission is to serve as a sisterhood of Latinas dedicated to building a movement of Latinas, their families and allies through leadership development, organizing and advocacy to create opportunities and achieve reproductive justice.
Colorado Organization for Latina Opportunity and Reproductive Rights (COLOR) provides a voice on reproductive rights and health perspective from within the Latino community for the Latino community and in the policy making process. We include reproductive justice in all of our conversations, and in our educational programming, public policy and advocacy, and community outreach work.
There are several areas of focus that you can choose from in our internship program: Social media, events and organizing, and outreach.
- Social Media projects would include working on the I Got This campaign to support the expansion of access to comprehensive sexuality education for Colorado Youth. This Campaign shares the message that when our young people have the information we should trust them to make the best decisions for themselves. The intern will be working with staff and youth to create a dialogue through vlogs, blogs, photos and facts on comprehensive sexuality education on Facebook, Flickr and Twitter accounts. It would also include taking the lead on organizing our I Got This Summit -- which brings together community and partner organization, youth, and other RJ stakeholders to focus on the issues that matter to Latinas and their families.
- Events and Organizing projects include organizing and communicating with individuals for community events and cafecitos. Cafecitos are community meetings on topical issues affecting the community, such as access to health care and continued cuts to education. We have many community partners, and are frequently working with organizations to organize meetings, events and plan community actions. Interns will be responsible to recruit and train volunteers, as well as plan and execute community engagement events to increase membership and community investment in reproductive justice issues! This is COLOR’s 15th anniversary and we will be holding a quinceanara version of an annual fundraising event, Viva La Diva. The intern will have the opportunity to support planning and fundraising for the event, as well as being a part of other 15 year anniversary activities.
- Outreach: Outreach: As a purple state, we frequently see radical attacks on choice, LGBT folks, and immigrants. This intern will have the opportunity to participate in post-2013 legislative session work and planning for the 2014 legislative session. Other outreach and organizing duties as assigned.
- A passion for social justice
- Strong commitment to reproductive justice
- Ability to work individually and in a group, and with youth
- Show up for work on time
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity of social media outlets, including Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr
- Willingness and flexibility to help out with unexpected projects that arise
- Ability to communicate effectively, written and verbal
- Comfort around sexual content, books, media, and other materials
- Understanding of the Latino culture and political landscape a plus
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus