Young People For (YP4) is a long-term leadership development initiative that identifies, engages, and empowers the newest generation of progressive leaders. YP4 focuses on identifying young people who are campus and community leaders today, engaging them in the broader progressive movement, and empowering them with the knowledge, strategies, and skills they can put to work to promote positive, sustainable change in their communities.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Advanced Leadership and Alumni Associate.
- Conduct outreach and support the development of local alumni networks
- Support logistics and outreach for the Front Line Leaders Academy
- Research current youth leadership programs, college activism, and leadership development curriculum
- Conduct and support research on social issues as they affect young people and the alumni network on the local, state, regional, and national level
- Support the Young People For team to plan and execute the annual National Summit
- Interns are encouraged to contribute to the YP4 Blog, YP4 social media presences, and to take on special projects and responsibilities that relate to their specific interest
- Assist Alumni Program staff members with day-to-day communication with and tracking of alumni
- Perform administrative support and duties as needed
- Experience with grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Excellent written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with MS Office applications; experience with online communities and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes.
- Familiarity with the progressive community, and a commitment to the issues of Young People For (campus diversity, civic engagement, civil rights, economic justice, education, environmental conservation and justice, healthcare, immigration, international human rights, workers' rights, Native American issues, traditions, and empowerment, and progressive coalition and alliance building).